A brief history......The Society was founded 1884; originally it was aimed aimed at businessmen and concentrated on commercial and political geography.
It has organised a lecture series throughout its history.
It contributed to the appointment of the first geography lecturer at Owens College in 1891, and the first professor at Manchester University in 1930.
Its Journal began publication in 1885. The first issue included an article by H M Stanley, but ceased publication in 1960. The Journal was relaunched as The Manchester Geographer in 1980, and was renamed as The North West Geographer in 1997. It became a free online journal in 2001.
It was forced out of its office in the Corn Exchange by the IRA bomb in 1996.
The Archives (to 1985) have been deposited in Greater Manchester Record Office.
- B P Hindle, ‘Turmoil and Transition: the Manchester Geographical Society, 1973-97’ The North West Geographer, 2/1 (1998).
- Paul Hindle, ‘Continuing Change: Manchester Geographical Society, 1998-2010’, North West Geography, 10/2 (2010).